18 March 2009

Understanding Complicated Grief


There's lots of movies about love, life and loss that touch me, but one recent movie in particular presents the subject of "complicated grief" very well -"Reign Over Me" starring Adam Sandler. It is about a man who has slipped out of reality after losing his wife and daughters on 9/11 and a past friend that runs into him. It was not a well liked movie, I can understand why, it touches on a subject that is hard for people to understand, relate to or want to deal with. If you have experienced instant loss of your spouse like I have or know someone who has I recommend seeing this movie.

I identify a lot with this character - his feelings and emotions, his childlike/youthful behavior, his abandonment of his career, his despair and frustration, his separation from those before, etc. As I sit and watch it again this evening, I realize again how much my grief is complicated and how I do not have words to always describe it. This movie speaks a lot for me.


Don Moss (8/4/63 - 7/29/04)

1 comment:

SquishyCuteStuff said...

Thanks for sharing. This is one movie that I forgot I wanted to see. Grief is, indeed, a complicated thing.